2016年10月19日 星期三
紙牌屋 S302 安德伍演講段落
Good evening.
晚安。
For too long, we in Washington have been lying to you.
一直以來,我們華盛頓的人都沒有說實話。
We say we're here to serve you, when in fact, we're serving ourselves.
我們說我們為人民服務,但事實是,我們替我們自己服務。
And Why? We are driven by our own desire to get re-elected.
為什麼?因為我們只想著連任。
Our need to stay in power eclipses our duty to govern.
我們渴望留在權力圈中,而忽視了我們的治國責任。
That ends tonight.
今晚,這到此為止。
Tonight I give you the truth.
今晚,我告訴你們實話。
And the truth is this.
實話就是,
The American Dream has failed you.
美國夢已經辜負你們了。
Work hard? Play by the rules? You aren't guaranteed success.
努力工作?遵守規則?並不能保證你會成功。
Your children will not have a better life than you did.
你們孩子的未來生活恐怕也不會比你目前的更好。
Ten million of you can't even get a job, even though you desperately want one.
盡管你們非常想要一份工作,還是有一千萬人沒法找到。
We've been crippled by Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid.
我們被社會保險、醫療保險、醫療補助困住了。
By welfare.
也就是福利。
By entitlements.
權益。
And that is the root of the problem.
這就是問題的根源。
Entitlements.
權益。
Let me be clear, you are entitled to nothing.
讓我說明白吧,沒有人天生就可以享有任何權益。
You are entitled to nothing.
沒有天生的福利。
America was built on the spirit of industry.
美國的根基在於勤勞精神。
You build your future.
你打造自己的未來。
It isn't handed to you.
而非靠他人施捨。
And the problem with Washington is that we haven't given you the tools to build it.
華盛頓的問題在於,我們沒有給你打造未來的工具。
The only way for us to serve you is to give you the means to serve yourselves.
政府為人民服務的唯一辦法,就是讓你們能夠自立自強。
Well, that's exactly what I intend to do.
這就是我想要做的。
Not handouts.
不再施捨。
Jobs.
而是給一份工作。
Real paying jobs.
一份真的付薪工作。
In the next few weeks, the Democratic Leadership will introduce a program called "America Works.
" Its goal is simple, to put the 10 million Americans who are unemployed to work.
接下來幾週,民主黨領導人將推出「美國就業法」。其目的很簡單,就是讓一千萬失業的美國人有一份工作。
All of them.
所有的人。
If you want a job, you get one.
每個想要一份工作的,都會有工作。
The cost is $500 billion.
美國就業法的成本是五千億美元。
Now, that's a lot of money.
現在聽好,這筆數目非常龐大。
To pay for it, we'll need to rethink Social Security, health care, and benefits from the ground up.
為了能負擔這個法案,我們必須從根本重新思考社會安全、醫療保健和福利政策。
We can't maintain the welfare state as we know it.
如同我們所知,我們無法維持現有的福利政策。
Now, that's not a popular thing to say.
我知道這麼說很不討人喜歡。
Anyone running for office wouldn't dare utter those words.
任何競選者都不敢將這些話說出口。
Every advisor and consultant and staff member would beg a presidential candidate not to say them.
每一個幕僚、顧問和下屬都會懇求總統候選人不要將這些說出口。
But I can say them, because I will not be seeking the Democratic nomination in 2016.
但我敢說這些話,是因為我將不會參予2016年民主黨的競選提名。
Candidates are cautious.
每個候選人都謹言慎行。
They must equivocate.
他們必須含糊其辭。
They dodge and tip-toe.
閃躲迴避和小心翼翼。
But I'd rather leave this office having accomplished something of value than secure another four years having done nothing at all.
但我更願留下一些有價值的事物然後離開,而不是為了再任四年無所作為。
Franklin Delano Roosevelt ushered in an era of hope and progress when he proposed the New Deal, and at the time his reforms were considered radical.
富蘭克林.德拉諾.羅斯福提出新政,讓美國走向希望與進步的年代,當時,他的改革被視為很激進。
But he once said, "This country demands bold, persistent experimentation.
但他說:『這個國家需要不斷大膽實驗。
"It is common sense to take a method and try it, and if it fails, admit it frankly and try another.
『採用、嘗試新辦法是正常的。如果失敗,就坦白承認,並試下一個方法。
"But above all, try something."
『但最重要的,是要有所嘗試。』
Roosevelt would have understood better than anyone the necessity for trying something different.
羅斯福比誰都明白嘗試不同辦法的必要性。
The New Deal succeeded for many years, but we must now try something newer before it fails us.
新政成功了許多年,但我們必須在其失去效用前,嘗試更新的辦法。
If America Works succeeds, we will reinvent the American Dream.
如果美國就業法成功了,我們將能徹底改造美國夢。
If we fail in our attempt, we will admit it frankly and try another.
如果我們這次嘗試失敗了,我們會坦白承認並試下一個辦法。
But above all, we must try something.
但最重要的,我們必須有所嘗試。
Thank you.
謝謝。
And God Bless the United States of America.
天佑美利堅合眾國。
沒有留言:
張貼留言